When the universe was but an empty void called Ginnungagap where the fires of Múspellsheimr met the ice of Jötunheimr, Ymir came into existence with a mighty scream from venom that dripped from the icy rivers Élivágar. In the void, Ymir suckled from the teat of Auðumbla, the primeval cow created from the same drops as Ymir. The brothers Odin, Vili, and Vé cruelly murdered the proto-being. From Ymir's bones, blood and brains, the mountains, oceans, and clouds were created, while Earth was made from his skin and muscles. His hair became the plants living there and his skull became the sky, which was held up by Norðri, Suðri, Austri and Vestri, four dwarves who like their kin were already growing inside Ymir before Odin took pity on them and granted the race the gift of reason.
Legacy and influence
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (first mentioned)
- Dawn of Ragnarök (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Geirmund's Saga (mentioned only)
- Discovery Tour: Viking Age (mentioned only)
- Echoes of History (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Forgotten Myths (mentioned only)