Additionally, the Cult of Kosmos supported Xerxes in his attempted conquest of Greece, unsuccessfully trying to sway King Leonidas of Sparta to allow Xerxes to conquer the land through their puppet the Oracle of Delphi. In 480 BCE, Xerxes led a Second Persian invasion of Greece. Before crossing the river Strymon, Xerxes had white horses sacrificed as well as nine young women and men buried alive. After that, his army marched to clash with the forces of Leonidas at the Hot Gates of Thermopylai in Malis.
In August 465 BCE, while Xerxes' convoy was under attack by the freedom fighters, Darius, posing as an agent of the King, sneaked in from behind and assassinated Xerxes, marking the first recorded use of the Hidden Blade.
Influence and legacy
The place where Xerxes had performed his sacrifice of horses, women, and men near the river Strymon was afterwards known as Xerxes' Sacrifice of the Nine. The Followers of Ares had made their camp therein, and were subsequently slain by the misthios Kassandra.
By the 420s BCE, Xerxes' story was part of a play written by Thespis, based on the Battle of Thermopylae. The part of Xerxes was set to be played by an actor famous for his previous villainous roles.
Personality and characteristics
Xerxes was known to be a cruel, ruthless, sadistic, ambitious and dictatorial man obsessed with conquering Greece to avenge his own father. He did not tolerate the resistance of his enemies against his massive Persian army, considering it as useless.
- Assassin's Creed II (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (mentioned only)
- Legacy of the First Blade (first appearance)
- Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations – Abstergo Files
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Bully the Bullies
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Legacy of the First Blade: Hunted – Protector of Persia
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Legacy of the First Blade: Hunted – Shadow of a Legend
- Assassin's Creed II
- Assassin's Creed: The Essential Guide
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – The Curse of Fame