- "The Revolution has begun! A revolution you and Aleksandr helped start is now spreading across Russia; an inevitable force whose time has finally come. This is but the first wave of change. Soon, very soon, power will shift to the hands of the proletariat, and we will finally see real progress in our country."
- ―Vladimir Lenin in his letter to Nikolai Orelov, 1917[src]
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (1870 – 1924), born Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, was a Russian Marxist revolutionary and communist politician who led the October Revolution of 1917. He was the founder and leader of the Soviet Union from 1917 until his death in 1924.
As leader of the Bolsheviks, he headed the Soviet Union during its initial years as it fought to establish control over Russia in the Russian Civil War and worked to create a Marxist economic system.
Though not an Assassin himself, Lenin was affiliated with the Russian Assassins. His brother, Aleksandr Ulyanov, was an Assassin, as was their close friend Nikolai Orelov. During the October Revolution, Lenin sent a letter to Nikolai urging him to kill Tsar Nicholas II, even if the Order itself no longer saw him as a threat. When Nikolai decided not to,Templars who had infiltrated the Bolsheviks killed the entire Romanov family with the exception of the Tsar's daughter Anastasia.
In 1917, as Lenin's party took control of Russia, he aided the Assassins greatly, giving them access to several facilities that would further their work, especially in the field of science. One such facility was located in Protvino, near Moscow, and was a carefully-guarded secret thanks to Lenin's intervention.
Sickened by disease and fatigue, and the stresses of leadership, Lenin suffered three strokes in 1922, with the last rendering him mute and bed-ridden until his death on 21 January 1924. With Lenin dead, Joseph Stalin soon took power, becoming a puppet of the Templar Order.
- Assassin's Creed: The Fall
- Assassin's Creed: Initiates (mentioned in Database entry only)
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia (mentioned in Database entry only)