- Ezio: Another artifact? No. You will stay here. I have seen enough for one life.
The Apple activated on its own.
- Ezio: Desmond?
- Desmond: He's talking to me?
- Ezio: I heard your name once before, Desmond, a long time ago. And now it lingers in my mind like an image from an old dream. I do not know where you are, or by what means you can hear me. But I know you are listening.
- Ezio: I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon. And here, at last, I discover a strange truth. That I am only a conduit for a message that eludes my understanding. Who are we, who have been so blessed to share our stories like this? To speak across centuries? Maybe you will answer all the questions I have asked. Maybe you will be the one to make all this suffering worth something in the end.
An image of Desmond appeared, and Ezio touched it.
- Ezio: Now... listen...
- Jupiter: Do you hear me, cipher? Can you see me?
Jupiter spotted Desmond within the Nexus.
- Jupiter: Ah. There you are. Good. A strange place, this nexus of time. I am not used to the... calculations. That has always been Minerva's domain. I see you still have many questions. Who were we? What became of us? What do we desire of you? You will have your answers. Only listen and I will tell you how.
A projection of the solar system appeared.
- Jupiter: Both before the end and after, we sought to save the world. We built vaults within which to work, each dedicated to a different method of salvation. They were placed underground to avoid the war which raged above, and also as a precaution, should we fail in our efforts. Each vault's knowledge was transmitted into a single place
- Jupiter: It was our duty... mine, Minerva's and Juno's—to sort and sample all that was collected. We chose those solutions which held the most promise, and devoted ourselves to testing their merits. Six we tried in succession, each more encouraging than the last. But none worked. And then the world ended...
- Jupiter: The earth shook for days. The fires burned for weeks. And when the ash had settled, less than ten thousand of your kind still lived... and far fewer of ours. But we carried on, together. To rebuild. To renew.
Desmond observed the passage of time across the centuries, until the landscape took on its modern shape.
- Jupiter: Listen. You must go there. To the place where we labored... labored and lost. Take my words. Pass them from your head into your hands. That is how you will open the way. But be warned: much still remains in flux. And I do not know how things will end—either in my time or yours.
Ezio retired from being an Assassin, and allowed Desmond to access the Nexus of Time, where he encountered Jupiter.
- During the cutscene in which Ezio interacted with the Apple, his appearance was the same as when he first arrived in Masyaf in 1511. He was also equipped with an Assassin Yataghan sword, but his short blade and crossbow were missing.
- The image of Desmond showed him wearing a black hoodie and his courier bag, even though he never wore the two simultaneously.
- In the novel, it is not Desmond who meets Jupiter, rather it is Ezio himself who learns about the Nexus and the impending apocalypse.