Alvarado has paid for his deceits, but had revealed his final treachery just before his death. Torquemada has all the pieces of the Staff of Eden. Our nightmares are made real.
Torquemada has made no overt use of the Staff, but his Inquisition has increased its presence across the country. Torquemada himself has not appeared in public for years, but we know he is fortifying himself at the Monastery of Saint Thomas Aquinas in Ávila.
We lack the numbers to face the Inquisition directly. We will need to procure outside help. We have cultivated tenuous friendships and some of Spain's mercenary captains. It is time we put these connections to good use.
They will not work for free, though. We know of a royal armory caravan currently camped in the Toledo mountains. We will raid the camp and relieve them of the weapons they are transporting, fresh from the forges. There will be a few rare Toledo swords among them. We should be able to use those to entice one or two mercenary captains.
The Spanish Assassins and a mercenary met outside the camp of a royal armory caravan at Toledo.
- Mercenary: This is the camp. They're keeping the best stuff in the big chests. Find me some of those fine Toledo swords, and I'll bash some inquisitors for you.
- Spanish Assassin: Hm. There are royal soldiers everywhere.
- Mercenary: That's why I'll be leaving this to you. Can't let a head this pretty end up on a spike! Good luck!
Making their way through the camp, the Assassins collected three crates of weapons.
- Spanish Assassin 1: That's it, the last crate of weapons.
- Spanish Assassin 2: This should be enough to entice the mercenaries to help us.
- Spanish Assassin 3: Let us go, then. Torquemada has already lived too long.
Using the purloined weapons, the Assassins earned the mercenaries' support, ensuring their help in dealing with Torquemada.