A small group of farmers hiding amongst ruins are planning their last stand against bandits who have already killed most of their village.
Bayek came across a group of farmers in the ruins of a village in the Uab Nome.
- Rai: The bandits will be here soon, brothers. We'll make our final stand. Give them a few scars before they slit our throats.
- Sayyum: We're with you, Rai. We're all tired of running.
- Rai: Our blood oath to this soil is unbreakable.
Bayek spoke to them.
- Bayek: Why are you hiding amongst these ruins?
- Rai: A Medjay! The gods show mercy at last! My name is Rai, and this is what's left of my family. Bandits chased us from our farms. We have nowhere else to go.
- Sayyum We have nothing of value, yet they've pursued us for days across this wasteland!
- Bayek: I have seen many bandits, they are cynical and callous.
- Rai: They killed so many. My father, my son. Those here are all who remain of our village. The bandits will come again to finish us. Stand with us, Medjay. Help us get vengeance at least!
- Bayek: Vengeance is my creed. I will help you. Tell me your plan.
- Rai: There's a cliff not far from here. From there we'll be able to see the whole area, and plan our defense. Let's go.
Bayek followed Rai to the cliffs.
- Rai: This wasteland is perilous. If it's not bandits, its hyenas, or some other beast. Thank Ra my father taught me how to use a bow.
- Bayek: That is a nice weapon. It has an unusual make.
- Rai: When my father gave it to me it was taller than me by three hands. Boys teased me without mercy. Now it's a sadness to me. It only reminds me of him.
They arrived at the cliff and approached the entrance.
- Rai: Did you see that, near the entrance? There are markings on the wall.
- Bayek: I saw. There is a symbol of Horus, but it is changed slightly.
- Rai: They look ancient. What is this place?
They entered the caverns.
- Bayek: You are fast along the rocks Rai!
- Rai: I know these caverns. They are a natural temple. What is that necklace you wear?
- Bayek: An old eagle skull.
- Rai: I hope it brings us luck!
They climbed up the cliffs and walked to the edge of the cliff, where a stone circle stood.
- Rai: Gods, it's beautiful! I could stay here for hours...
They reached the edge of the cliff.
- Rai: Okay, enough of the view. We have to plan. Wherever the bandits come from, my brothers will be ready for them in the ruins. I'll stay up here and keep watch. When they show I'll give a signal. Then I'll attack from behind.
- Bayek: I mean no disrespect Rai, but you are not soldiers. These bandits are killers. Your farmer friends may not walk away from this fight.
- Rai: I know, Bayek. I'm scared out of my mind. If your family died in your arms, you would understand I cannot walk away now.
- Bayek: Believe me, I do understand. And I will fight with you. For now I will head back to the others.
- Rai: You should hurry. It's a long way back down the mountain.
Bayek leaped down into the waters below.
- Rai: Bayek! What... you are no eagle!
Bayek resurfaced. Rai called to him from the cliff.
- Rai: Are you alright?! That was crazy, but amazing!
Bayek returned to the farmers in the ruins. A man commented as he passed him by.
- Man: I thought the old Medjay were all gone. You give me hope again. Medjay, we cannot thank you enough for your help. You are sent from the gods. I was sure we were going to die, but now I have hope.
Bayek found Sayyum and approached him.
- Sayyum: Medjay! You've returned!
- Bayek: Yes. Your sister is staying on the cliff. She will signal when the bandits approach. These ruins are narrow. It could be worthwhile setting traps. Fire and oil, perhaps... do you have supplies?
- Sayyum: Fire, a fine idea. Yes, we do. They're nearby.
- Bayek: Good. Head up to that roof and keep watch. I will join you soon.
Sayyum left Bayek, while Bayek thought and got to work.
- Bayek: I could use the oil jars to set traps for the bandits. Either way, I should speak to Rai's brother again when I am ready.
Bayek set up the jars in various locations.
- Man: With you we have a chance. These bandits are demons. But whether we live or die, I am thankful for your help.
Bayek returned to Sayyum.
- Bayek: I am ready.
- Sayyum: Then we wait... and pray.
Bayek and the farmers waited until night. They saw a fire signal and heard a horn from the cliff.
- Sayyum: There they are! The bandits are here!
Bandits arrived at the ruins and attacked the farmers. Bayek helped the farmers against them.
- Bandit 1: We see you, little mice. Think you can hide from us?
- Bandit 2: Where's the woman! Hand over the bow. Maybe we'll let you live. Or maybe not! Haha!
The bandits were defeated. Rai returned to the ruins.
- Rai: We did it!
- Sayyum: But there are more of them out there, and they will return. They were after father's bow!
- Rai: What? All this just for an old bow? Gods, why?! It doesn't make sense! I would have given it to them!
- Sayyum: Maybe we still can...
- Bayek: They would have killed you anyway. There is only one way to stop men like this. I have to hunt down their leader.
- Rai: I saw them come in from the Southeast. They could be camping in the foothills nearby.
- Bayek: Then that is where I will begin my search.
- Rai: Bayek, before you go... please, take the bow. We'll be safer if you have it. It was damaged in the fighting, and it only brings me sadness now, anyway.
- Bayek: I am sure it still has some power. You honor me Rai.
Rai gave the broken bow to Bayek.
- Bayek: The bow is Egyptian, but older than anything I have seen. It's deceptively light, and the balance is perfect! The limbs are made partly of a strange black stone. It is familiar... I will look into it after I have dealt with this murderous leader!
Bayek sought out the bandits' camp southeast, towards the hills, finding them outside a cave. He approached the camp.
- Bandit: The others should have been back by now. They couldn't have lost the fight... could they?
Against that bunch of dirt eating mud rakers? Haha, of course not! What am I thinking! They'll be back soon. Yeah, nothing to worry about.
Bayek eliminated the bandits outside the camp. He entered the cave and found a note on a table.
- Bandit Letter:
You know our leader's obsession with ancient treasure. Those farmers don't even realize the value of that bow. Get it at all costs. I don't even care how many you have to kill. When you're done, come to the new hideout. Head east from the old cave toward the olive plantations. At the end of the path you'll find a hidden entry to a buried tomb.
This place is perfect. No-one will ever find us, and we can set up for the long term. We've found something here too, a secret room of some sort. We're still trying to get in.
- Bayek: A letter from the bandit leader. He is collecting ancient weapons. He wanted this bow so badly he killed for it. But why? He's not here. They have a new hideout in a nearby tomb. They think themselves unfindable. Well, my friends, here I come.
- Bayek: This must be the place. The bandit leader is in this tomb. Gods, this is ancient. There is something unusual about the stonework. The markings are similar to those of Rai's bow...
Bayek entered the tomb and navigated his way to the main chamber. He overheard the bandits talking.
- Bandit 1: Blackstone... great godly rock... I knew there was ancient treasure in these mountains! But this... I've never seen nothing like it!
- Bandit 2: This is the domain of the gods themselves! We could sell it all back in Krokodilopolis! And never return to this wasteland! We've got a whole tomb full of Blackstone!
Bayek entered the chamber and killed the bandits and their leader.
- Bayek: Murderous, greedy neket iadet. He won't be troubling the farmers anymore. He was carrying shards of black stone, probably found in the tomb beyond. It is the same material used on Rai's bow.
Bayek recovered the shards and fit it with Rai's bow.
- Bayek: It fits. Should do the trick. Now it is a fine weapon.
Bayek helped the farmers against the bandits, who were after Rai's bow. Rai gave her bow to Bayek, who pursued the bandits to the Tomb of Smenkhkare and killed them and their leader. He then recovered a shard of blackstone, fitting it into Rai's bow and restoring it to its prime.