Romagna is a region located in Italy, of which Forlì is its main city. Ruled in the late 14th century, by Caterina Sforza, an ally of the Italian Assassins, the area consisted mainly of buildings swamped by marshes, surrounding the fortified city. During the Renaissance, the Assassin Ezio Auditore da Firenze visited the location on several occasions.
The name Romagna comes from the Latin word Romània, which was originally the generic name for "land inhabited by Romans", and first appeared on Latin documents in the 5th Century. It later took on the more detailed meaning of "territory subjected to Eastern Roman rule", whose citizens called themselves Romans (Romàioi in Greek), and considered themselves the heirs of Imperial Rome. Thus the term Romània came to be used to refer to the territory administered by the Exarchate of Ravenna in contrary to other parts of Northern Italy under Lombard rule, named Langobardia or Lombardy. Romània later became Romandìola in Vulgar Latin, meaning "little Romània", which evolved into Romagna.
In 1480, Ezio rode into the area, after being chased through the Apennine Mountains by Borgia soldiers. He used the area to access a ferry across the Adriatic Sea to Venice alongside close friend Leonardo da Vinci, after initially being held up due to his lack of paperwork. The problem was solved due to the intervention of Caterina Sforza, Countess of Forli and an Assassin ally, who took a shine to Ezio Auditore.
- Before Assassin's Creed II's release, developer Ubisoft Montreal referred to the area as the "Wetlands."
- Romagna is the poorest region in Assassin's Creed II. Its waters appear dirty, the buildings are ravaged, destroyed and overgrown, the surrounding area is flooded and very few civilians wear affluent clothing (such as feather hats and scarfs), nor do they possess a respectable amount of money to pickpocket.
- The Wetland Ebony and Wetland Ivory dyes for Ezio's robes can be obtained here from any Tailor, and will grant the "Perfect Harmony" Achievement.
- Romagna is the location of the first Assassin's Creed II DLC, the Battle of Forlì.
- By downloading the Battle of Forlì DLC, players can access the Flying Machine at anytime on top of the fortress, where a Feather is also located.