The name Romagna comes from the Latin word Romània, which was originally the generic name for "land inhabited by Romans", and first appeared on Latin documents in the 5th Century. It later took on the more detailed meaning of "territory subjected to Eastern Roman rule", whose citizens called themselves Romans (Romàioi in Greek), and considered themselves the heirs of Imperial Rome. Thus the term Romània came to be used to refer to the territory administered by the Exarchate of Ravenna in contrary to other parts of Northern Italy under Lombard rule, named Langobardia or Lombardy. Romània later became Romandìola in Vulgar Latin, meaning "little Romània", which became Romagna.
It's limited by the Apennines to the south-west, the Adriatic Sea to the east, and the rivers Reno and Sillaro to the north and west. The region's major cities include Ravenna, Cesena, Faenza, Forlì, Imola, Rimini and City of San Marino. The region has been recently formally expanded with seven comuni; Casteldelci, Maiolo, Novafeltria, Pennabilli, San Leo, Sant'Agata Feltria and Talamello, from the Marche region, all of which are comuni where Romagnolo dialect is spoken. The weather is very cloudy and the atmosphere is quite dark. It is a marshy area with continuous flood and aquatic plants. It also has many rivers.
- Guards seem to notice Ezio more easily here, especially when being in high profile.
- Romagna is the poorest countryside in Assassin's Creed II. Its water seems dirty, the buildings are ravaged, destroyed and overgrown, the surrounding area is flooded and very few civilians wear rich clothing (such as feather hats and scarfs), or have a decent amount of money to pickpocket.
- The Wetland Ebony and Wetland Ivory dyes for Ezio's robes can be obtained here from any Tailor, and will give you the "Perfect Harmony" Achievement.
- This is the location of the first Assassin's Creed II DLC, the Battle of Forlì.
- You can obtain the achievement "Fly Swatter" easily while in Romagna, if you have bought the Battle of Forlì DLC.
- By downloading the Battle of Forli DLC, you can access the Flying Machine at anytime on top of the fortress, where a Feather is also located.