Eivor came across a man yelling for fighters.
- Rolf the Raider: You there! You look like you could handle yourself in a fight. Eivor Wolf-Kissed, is that you? Make way for Eivor, the Terror of the Western Shores!
- Eivor: It is Rolf, ja? We raided with you that one time, up on the northern coast.
- Rolf: I am flattered you remember.
- Eivor: It was the first time Styrbjorn let us raid so far from home. And Sigurd was sure you took more than your fair share. You are still raiding at your age?
- Rolf: We need to grab what we can before Harald has his say across Norway. But I only plan them now. I let others do the heavy work. In fact, I am looking for someone to lead my crew.
- Eivor: I would like to help you out, but I have my own crew now.
- Rolf: I did not mean you, but I could use your help choosing a leader. I have picked out a few to be tested.
- Eivor: Tested how?
- Rolf: If you want to see someone's true character, test it in battle.
- Eivor: Show me your picks.
Eivor followed Rolf toward the docks.
- Rolf: My crew is gathered down by the docks. Locals mostly. Even a couple farmers hungry for excitement.
- Eivor: How do they compare to me and Sigurd?
- Rolf: There is no comparing. You are building some reputation, Eivor. They talk about you up and down the coast.
- Eivor: Good talk or bad?
- Rolf: Depends on who you talk to. Mostly good. Do not worry about the bad.
- Eivor: No, they should worry about me.
They reached the docks where a crowd surrounded a fighting ring where two people were fist-fighting.
- Rolf: This is my raiding crew, Eivor. What they lack in experience, they make up for in... other areas.
- Rolf: Together, we will hammer these lumps of meat into men and women of iron. Into raiders.
- Eivor: So, which from this unlucky lot would lead your crew?
- Rolf: See, that big brute? Audbjorn. He does not speak much, but he could power a ship by himself.
Rolf gestured at a large man in the ring, who was then punched by a woman.
- Rolf: That shield-maiden is Ashild the Keen. Her blade is as quick as her wits. And then, there is Thorgils...
- Thorgils of the Thick Head: Rolf! Who is your friend?
- Rolf: Keep your head on the fight or someone will crack it!
- Thorgils: All right!
- Rolf: That one is so thick, he could shatter your shield, but the other men like him. And those are the best of the bunch.
- Eivor: So, those three, ja? I have handled more.
- Rolf: You want to fight them all at once?
- Eivor: Why not? Raids are the stuff of chaos itself. They need a test with no rules.
- Rolf: Challenge them, but do not damage them. It was hard enough finding this many.
Rolf stepped forward into the ring.
- Rolf: Listen up, you sea slugs. This is Eivor Wolf-Kissed, who has killed more men than you will ever meet.
- Thorgils: Eivor Wolf-Kissed! I've heard of you! This will be great!
- Rolf: You want to lead my crew, you must fight Eivor. Best fighter wins. No killing, no maiming. Other than that, no rules. Understand?
Rolf exited the ring as Eivor faced against the three challengers.
- Thorgils: I am rea--
Ashild punched Thorgils in the head, knocking him down.
- Rolf: Fight!
Eivor fist-fought Ashild and Audbjorn, two-on-one.
- Eivor: A raider needs to be ruthless.
- Ashild: I am better than any man here.
- Eivor: You have much to learn.
Eivor defeated them both, then Thorgils stood.
- Thorgils: Have I won?
- Eivor: You will have to fight me first. Maybe you want to sit back down.
- Thorgils: No, no, I will be fine. And do not worry about me, worry about yourself!
Eivor fought and defeated Thorgils.
- Rolf: That's enough!
- Thorgils: Did I win?
- Eivor: No, but you fought well. You have a good chance.
- Thorgils: I would rather have some mead...
Eivor spoke to Rolf again.
- Eivor: Did you see what you were looking for?
- Rolf: Yes. I did not think Thorgils could do it, but he is thick-headed, like his old man.
- Eivor: Wait - That is your boy? Tiny Thor? He used to barely reach my belly.
- Rolf: He has grown, and now he will want to take everything from me. But such is the way of children. Take some silver for your trouble, and a little extra. For cheating you and Sigurd on that raid. Good luck!