A New Templar Threat
- Aguilar: My first assignment as an Assassin; I cannot fail! Now, let's find out what the Templars are up to...
Moving through a church courtyard and climbing the outer walls, Aguilar entered the chancel from the roof and settled on an overhanging ledge to eavesdrop on a meeting between Grand Inquisitor Torquemada and Ojeda.
- Torquemada: Finally! I have the ear of the King and Queen, and the army is mine to command! We are ready to move forward with our plan.
- Ojeda: The artifacts, you mean, Grand Inquisitor?
- Torquemada: Yes, my loyal Ojeda. Inform the others and proceed.
- Ojeda: Very well. And what of the Assassins? What if they move to stop us?
- Torquemada: They are too weak; they are not in a position to do anything. If they stand in our way, crush them like the insect they are.
- Ojeda: Your will shall be done, master. May the Father of Understanding guide us.
- Aguilar: Ojeda and Torquemada! If only I could take those bastards' lives here and now... but they are too well guarded, and I came for information only. This is serious! The Brotherhood must grow in strength and number to respond to this threat. I will regroup with the others and share what I know.
The Spanish Assassins
- Aguilar: I must find María. With her experience, she will have insight on how to handle this new Templar threat.
Aguilar made his way through the city and found María and Tariq in a Templar study room.
- Aguilar: María! I have learned of a grave threat. Torquemada has ordered Ojeda to set a new plan in motion, possibly involving Pieces of Eden.
- María: This is serious. We must prepare to move against them, but we are too few. We will assemble more Assassins. Luis is the nearest; you and Tariq must go tell him that he needs to return.
- Aguilar: What then?
- María: We need a place of strength from which to strike at the Templars. There is and abandoned fortress in the mountains of Cazorla; claim it and make it our new base of operations. I will meet you there.
- Aguilar: We will not fail you! Let's go, Tariq.
Regrouping with Luis
- Aguilar: Tariq and I seek our brother Luis. With him, we will take possession of the abandoned fortress in Sierra de Cazorla.
Aguilar and Tariq advanced through the city and infiltrated a heavily-guarded warehouse, where they found Luis in the storeroom.
- Aguilar: Luis! Well met!
- Luis: Aguilar! You are the last person I expected here. Thank you for your assistance... although I had the situation well in hand!
- Aguilar: You may repay your debt by coming to the Cazorla mountains with Tariq and me. María has set us the task of establishing a new base of operations in an abandoned fortress there. Come, ride with us; she will meet us there.
A New Headquarters
María and Aguilar met at the fortress.
- Aguilar: María, we have arrived.
- María: Well met, brothers. This is the location I told you about. This place is well hidden and with some hard work we can turn it into an ideal base of operations.
Ezio Auditore joined their discussion.
- Ezio: Good. You know what to do next, Aguilar! María, are you ready? We need to go now.
- María: I must leave; Ezio and his brethren have come to Spain on a mission of their own, and they need my help. The Brotherhood is counting on you to direct the restoration of this place into an efficient headquarters for our Spanish Assassins. I will return as soon as I can.
- Aguilar: You may rely on us! We wish you good hunting.
Ezio and María departed, leaving Aguilar in charge of the Spanish Brotherhood.
- Aguilar: We are weary from our battle, and require a place to rest and regain strength. Let's build the Living Quarters first!
A Living Quarters was built.
- Aguilar: Now that we have secured our base and have a place to rest, it is time to begin our fight against the Templars in earnest!
Aguilar, María, and Ezio learned that Torquemada planned to use the Inquisition's activities during the Reconquista as a front for the Spanish Templars to search for and acquire any Pieces of Eden hidden in Spain, with the ultimate goal of using them to rule the country. In response, the Spanish Assassins established a headquarters in the Cazorla mountains, giving them a base of operations whence they could conduct raids and track Torquemada's actions.
Behind the scenes
Android versions of the game open with Ezio speaking instead and have a very truncated prologue, featuring only the eavesdropping mission. The dialogue goes as follows:
- Ezio: Following the trail of Rodrigo Borgia has brought me all the way to Spain, for the Inquisition is controlled by Templars. Rodrigo's underlings. Let's see if I can learn something from them tonight...
- Moving through a church courtyard and climbing the outer walls, Ezio entered the chancel from a rooftop door. Approaching an overhanging ledge to eavesdrop on the Inquisition meeting below between Torquemada and Ojeda, he was joined by Aguilar and Maria on a beam opposite him.
- Ojeda: We are at your command, Grand Inquisitor. Has the time come to move forward with our plan?
- Torquemada: Yes, my loyal Ojeda, we are finally ready! I have the ear of the King and Queen, and their army is mine to command! I will unleash my Dogs of the Lord, and with the combined strength of the Inquisition and the Spanish army, the artifacts shall be mine.
- Ojeda: Your will shall be done, master. The Father of Understanding will guide us to victory. But what of the Assassins? What if they move to stop us?
- Torquemada: They are too weak; they are not in a position to do anything. If they dare stand in our way, crush them like the insect they are. Now, go!
- Ezio, María, and Aguilar exited the building and met on the rooftop.
- Ezio: María, Aguilar! What do you make of this? Whatever Torquemada's plan is, it cannot be good. And the artifacts he mentioned... Could it be Pieces of Eden?
- Aguilar: Ojeda and Torquemada... For everything they are doing to the people of this country, those bastard's deserve to pay!
- María: We must stop this Templar threat, but we are too few. Our Brotherhood must grow in strength first. We will need to assemble more Assassins. And we need a new place of strength from which we can prepare in secrecy. We will go to the Cazorla mountains. An abandoned fortress sits there; we will claim it and make it our new base of operations. Let us go, brothers.
- Ezio, María, and Aguilar met at the abandoned fortress the next day.
- María: This is it. This place is well hidden; it needs repair, but with some hard work it could be turned into an ideal base of operations.
- Ezio: Excellent. Aguilar, You know what to do next! And María, are you ready? We must go now.
- María: Aguilar, I must leave; Ezio and his brethren came to Spain on a mission of their own, and Benedicto has asked me to help them.
- Ezio: And once we are done, we will return the favor by lending you our strength to fight the Inquisition. You have my word.
- María: The Brotherhood is counting on you to direct the restoration of this place into a new headquarters for our Spanish Assassins. Ezio and I will return as soon as we can.
- Aguilar: I understand. We will not fail you! We wish you good hunting.
- Ezio and María left.
- Aguilar: We will need materials to build our new HQ. Let's go "borrow" some from the supplies of the Inquisition. I'm sure they won't mind.
- Aguilar and Tariq stole some supplies.
- Aguilar: Let's start by building a Training Room, a place where we can grow stronger to face tougher enemies.
- A Training Room was built, and Aguilar was the first to use it.
- Aguilar: To train our new recruits, we will need more Training Codex! We can acquire some by completing Standard Missions. Let's go find one now.
- The Assassins stole some supplies.
- Aguilar: Going on Missions tends to tire us out. Let's build a Living Quarters so we can rest and regain our strength!
- A Living Quarters was built.
- Aguilar: We should now construct an Intelligence Room to collect and analyze new Intel on Templar activities. This will let us launch more missions!
- An Intelligence Room was built.
- Aguilar: Now that we have gathered enough new Intel, we can move forward with a Legacy Mission. Completing it will help us meet more allies to recruit.
- The Assassins infiltrated a building and killed an Inquisition Spy.
- Aguilar: We are now ready to begin our fight against the Templar threat. It is time to learn more about Torquemada's plans...