After Soma walked away, Eivor found an entry from Soma's journal on a nearby crate of supplies.
- Soma's Journal:
We have set up a camp to treat the wounded. I will tend to each of them myself and see who must rest and who still thirsts for blood.
By next nightfall, I will take the willing and able and set out to find my closest advisors. They are still alive. I know it in my heart. And once we regroup, we will take back Grantebridge. Nothing will stand in our way.
Eivor climbed the beacon tower and saw a dead man near the beacon. She read a note left near his body.
- Letter to You
I do not have long now, a few hours at the most. This place is as good as any. A beautiful view of the setting sun or the bright stars should I last into the night.
I have met people so afraid to die alone, but as I lie here writing this, I see there see nothing to fear. After all, it is a journey we must all take alone, with no one and nothing in tow.
And so to whoever should find me, I leave you this key to my home, in hopes that that which I leave behind can find new meaning.
Eivor collected the key from the man's body and then lit the beacon.
- Eivor: Burn long and hot, bright wolf of the branch. And guide Soma's gilded warriors home.
Climbing down from the tower, Eivor met with Soma and started their mission.
- Soma: I know what you must think.
- Eivor: What must I think?
- Soma: That it's foolish to search the Fenlands for so few people.
- Eivor: You told me the soldiers you lost were your best. Vital to retaking the city. Do you think it's foolish?
- Soma: Not at all.
- Eivor: Then why would I?
- Soma: You have the look of one who does well with solitude. You're alone, a wanderer. It may be you think of soldiers as war fodder, and little else. But these warriors are more than a blade and shield. They are my family. Nothing short. I've lost a city this week. I will not lose them too.
- Eivor: I understand. And if your people yet live, we will find them.
Following the river, they came across the first longship.
- Soma: There. Lif's longboat. I recognize the hull.
Eivor read an inscription etched into the boat's hull
- Longship Inscription:
A builder of ships, a lover of art,
He carries his honor like a shield on his heart.
- Eivor: This poem is about Lif. Did he write this about himself?
Just north of the ship, they approached the first camp.
- Eivor: A group of Danes, held captive.
- Anglo-Saxon Soldier 1: Can't wait to see what Ealdorman Wigmund does to these prisoners. Should be good for a laugh.
- Anglo-Saxon Soldier 2: Lord Wigwund'll see you hanged from the tree in the city square.
Eivor and Soma started taking out the enemy soldiers. Once they reached the prisoners, they killed the last guard.
- Lif: Free me! I'm no use here, not with the wind gone from my sails.
After killing the last soldier, and freeing the prisoners.
- Lif: If you would be so kind, I've had quite the day...
- Soma: Look through the fog, Lif. Follow the beacon. Our camp is at its base. We'll return when we've found the others.
- Lif: We'll head straight to the camp. And see that everyone's shipshape when you return.
Eivor and Soma continued their search for the missing advisors.
- Eivor: Lif is a prim and proper man, isn't he?
- Soma: He lives by a strict code of honor, more than most. And builds the best longships I've ever sailed. They're the reason we escaped Grantebridge alive. He's not the strongest man, but he's wise and canny and hard to pin down. Like a fish wriggling free of a net.
Further west, they came upon a longship near Gratian's Villa Ruins.
- Soma: This longboat is Birna's, I think. All scraped and bashed, it's hard to tell.
Inside, they found another inscription.
- Longship Inscription:
A ship as staunch and veiled as this,
Fit for a smuggler who could kill with a kiss.
- Eivor: Here's a poem about Birna.
They approached the ruins.
- Eivor: Saxons surrounding that old hut. There may be Danes trapped inside.
A soldier was banging on the door of the hut.
- Birna: That's right! Tire yourself out! Weak little kittens, can't even open one barricaded door!
- Anglo-Saxon Soldier: You'll rot in Hell when we're done with you!
- Birna: You'll suck my toes when I'm standing on your head!
- Soma: That's Birna, for sure. If my head was in a bucket of water, I'd still know.
They quickly killed the soldiers and opened the door to the hut to find a small group of Danes inside.
- Birna: Ha! Soma! I knew I heard someone sweeping the hearth outside. We handled it just fine. Thinking of starting a new town, in fact. This house being our first.
- Soma: Birna... I pitched a camp nearby, under a burning beacon. We'll meet you there when I've found the others.
- Birna: Thank you, Soma. And you as well, Sunbeam. We'll head to the camp now. I'll have everyone singing songs and dancing jigs by the time you get back.
Eivor found a note in the house.
- Old Roman Letter
Your performance at the battle of Adrianopolis was unfortunate, however the army is loyal to you here. We would like to march on Gaul and defend it, as many of our men ar native to it.
The soldiers long for your inspiring speeches and the young fire you imbibe them with in battle.
Please meet me in Lyon at your behest. We will make plans to take Thrace once more.
Eivor and Soma continued their search for Galinn.
- Eivor: Birna's like a grapevine, curly and hard to predict. While Lif's like a wood beam, sturdy, straightforward.
- Soma: Birna has a genius for tactics, sees well ahead of things. Lif deals with what's just there before him. Practical in all ways. Both have helped me find my footing in desperate times. It's important to keep those who disagree with you close as family.
A little while later, they came upon some ruins near the Abandoned Bog Hamlet and saw someone in a wooden tower, surrounded by wolves.
- Eivor: Wolves. They've surrounded someone. Must be careful.
- Galinn: Loki's laughing behind his shackles, wretched carrion beasts! I don't deserve this! Leave me! Run!
After clearing the wolves, they climbed the tower and Eivor helped the wounded man to his feet.
- Soma: Galinn, you look terrible.
- Eivor: What happened here?
- Galinn: Saxons chased me into the fog, ran me smack into a nest of bandits. But Freyr was on my side, and I saw them before they saw me.
- Soma: Are you the only one of your crew left standing?
- Galinn: I am. And hardly standing myself. But with the blessings of Odin and Freyja, they'll be feasting well with the gods.
- Soma: We have a camp nearby, Galinn. I'll take you there myself. Eivor, join us when you're ready.
In the ruins of the hamlet, Eivor found a note.
- Dweller's Note
Bandits have begun running rampant in our homestead. I know because I hear them in the night, stirring in the fields and bothering the locals.
They were far more cautious when they were sparse. But now they are unified under Lincolnscire's crumbling regime, the whole shire teeming with these depraved slugs. It was only a matter of time before this disease encroached and spread into our lands.
My sons are too young to bear their badgering, and I alone can do nothing to protect our land. The decision is an easy one. I thank God I am not a proud man.
Farewell, my sweet home.
Eivor returned to the Middeltun camp.
- Soma: The beacon has drawn the last of my soldiers. By tomorrow, our strength will have returned, and we can retake our city. I have not yet spoken to Lif, Birna, and Galinn about this. After my missteps, I worry what they must think of me.
- Eivor: They'll be grateful you risked your life to find them. I would be.
Eivor followed Soma to where her advisors were gathered around a campfire. Soma put a hand on Galinn's back; he stood with an arm wrapped around his stomach, holding his injury.
- Soma: By Thor's hammer, I am glad we're together. In spite of our setback. Galinn, you look... well worn. Do not grieve the men you lost. They will be singing your praises in the corpse hall, waiting for us
- Galinn: Thank you, jarlskona.
- Soma: Lif. You'd outlast any tempest.
- Lif: It's good to be back, Soma. All as one. And know this, that I would follow you through the eye of the storm if you called.
Lif and Soma grasped arms.
- Soma: Birna...
Birna stepped forward and embraced Soma.
- Birna: I'm delighted you're alive.
- Soma: I'm delighted to be living. I lost so many after all this, but I still have you three. That makes me the most blessed warrior in Midgard. And Eivor. You have more than proven your worth. Help us reclaim our city, and you will have an ally in me.
- Eivor: My blade is yours. For Grantebridge.
- Soma: We'll rest for the night. Gather our strength and our wits. And at the break of dawn's light, we retake Grantebridge! Pass the night in our camp, Eivor. Take anything you need.
Eivor helped Soma to locate her closest advisors, Birna, Galinn and Lif.
- While the game clearly intends for Galinn's ship to be found during a later quest, it is possible to come across it before finding him. If Eivor finds it while Soma is still with her, Soma will comment that Galinn "[...] Must have been panicked to have strayed to such a place."