Olivier Garneau (died 30 May 2014) was the Chief Creative Officer of Abstergo Entertainment, a subsidiary of Abstergo Industries, as well as one of the few members of Abstergo Entertainment aware of its true nature as a Templar organization.
CCO of Abstergo Entertainment
That same month, Olivier met a new research analyst who had just started working with Abstergo, asking which ancestor's genetic memories they were exploring as part of the Sample 17 Project, to which Project Lead Melanie Lemay replied that they were reliving Edward Kenway life, much to Garneau's excitement.
On 14 October,  Olivier was contacted by Abstergo Industries administrator Laetitia England to give a report of their progress in locating the Observatory through that same analyst's work, where he promised to work harder despite low funding and a lack of solid leads. Some time later, he communicated with Melanie about the importance of meeting Laetitia's demands.
Shortly thereafter, Olivier left for a shareholder's meeting in Chicago, but never arrived. Concurrently, a hacker inside Abstergo Entertainment compromised various computers and security cameras in the facility, prompting a security lockdown. Melanie took charge in Olivier's stead and managed the breach, which she later concluded had been caused by the head of the technology department, an employee named John Standish.
Death and aftermath
Behind the scenes
- Olivier is a character first introduced in Ubisoft's promotional media site Assassin's Creed: Initiates. He later reappeared in the 2013 video game Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, where he was voiced by Canadian actor Vincent Hoss-Desmarais.
- Olivier shares his name with an AI/Game Programmer at Ubisoft Québec.
- Scriptwriter Darby McDevitt initially stated via Twitter that he originally thought of Olivier defecting to the Assassins as the canonical explanation for Olivier's disappearance, but with the 2016 release of Assassin's Creed: Origins, this has been rendered untrue.
- Olivier Garneau claimed he was a descendant of François-Xavier Garneau.
- On Layla Hassan's computer, her files on Olivier include a receipt from Quinkie's. Quinkie's is a fast food chain featured in Ubisoft's Watch Dogs video game series. The CCTV image features a man attacking Olivier that looks very similar to Aiden Pearce, the protagonist of Watch_Dogs.
- In Watch_Dogs, he was stated to be 38 at time of death.
- Assassin's Creed: Initiates (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (first appearance)
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (CCTV footage only)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – Modern day
- Access the Animus (@AccessTheAnimus) on Facebook "Initiates Q&A with Darby McDevitt - Part I"
- Assassin's Creed: Initiates – Surveillance: "For Immediate Release"
- Assassin's Creed: Origins – Layla Hassan's personal files: "The Gone Files: Olivier Garneau – Chicago CCTV Footage"
- Assassin's Creed: Origins – Layla Hassan's personal files: "The Gone Files: Olivier Garneau – Restaurant Bill"
- screenshot) (
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – Noob's personal files: "Abstergo Entertainment: CONFIDENTIAL - Subject - RE: Potential time periods?"