Edward and his crew arrived in Nassau, where he began to look for a crew.
- Thatch: Go on, Captain Queernabs! Tell me I'm under arrest! Tell me!
- Adéwalé: Them your breds (brethren)?
- Hornigold: Fly away, boyo! Back to your master!
- Edward: Aye. We was privateers together, before the wars ended. I'll see you ashore.
Edward met with his friends at the Old Avery tavern.
- Hornigold: By God, you're a sight for salty eyes! Come you in and have a drink.
- Edward: Morning, all.
- Thatch: Ahoy, Kenway. Who's this?
- Edward: Adéwalé, the Jackdaw's quartermaster.
- Thatch: Jackdaw? You named your brig after a poxy bird?
- Edward: Adé, these lads are the better part of our growing confederacy here. Ed Thatch, Ben Hornigold, James Kidd.
- Hornigold: You let him carry a pistol, do ye?
- Edward: Peace, Ben. Adé saved my life. And now we're looking for a crew to fill out the rest of my ship.
- Thatch: Well, there's scores of capable men about. But use caution. A shipload of the King's sailors showed up a fortnight back, causing trouble and knocking about like they own the place.
- Edward: Right. I'll see who I can muster.
- Adéwalé: Send any men you find to the Jackdaw. I'll put them to work.
- Edward: Cheers Adé.
Edward soon set out to save pirates from the British soldiers, recruiting them to his crew.
- Civilian 1: What's all this pissing and moaning about? Has something happened?
- Civilian 2: Soldiers have come, that's what's happened. Sent by the King himself.
- Civilian 3: If a lobster sticks his nose in my business, I'll slice it off.
- Civilian 4: I'm with you, mate. True hearted!
- Civilian 5: What'll we do, Lizabeth? I'll be hanged for piracy if them soldiers catch hold of me.
- Civilian 6: Stand your ground and give'em a whallop, then! You got naught else to live for!
Eventually, he was approached by a woman.
- Civilian 7: Captain Kenway, come fast! There's soldiers that clapped a man in irons. They mean to hang him!
Edward arrived at a scaffolding where the pirate was to be hanged. He rescued him, and then returned to the tavern.
- Hornigold: Now you'll want to sail somewhere rich with plunder.
- Edward: Have you heard of a place called the Observatory?
- Kidd: Aye. It's an old legend. Like El Dorado, or the Fountain of Youth.
- Edward: What have you heard?
- Kidd: It's meant to be a temple or a tomb. Hiding a treasure of some kind.
- Edward: That's it! You see here.
- Thatch: Ah, rot! It's fairy stories you prefer to gold, is it?
- Edward: It's worth more than gold, Thatch. Ten-thousand times above what we could pull off any Spanish ship.
- Hornigold: Robbing the king to pay his paupers is how we earn our keep here, lad. That ain't a fortune, it's a fantasy.
Through his intervention, Edward saved many pirates from execution, subsequently recruiting them as crew for the Jackdaw.