Michael Fassbender (born 2 April 1977) is an Irish-German actor, and is best known for his roles in Inglourious Basterds, Shame, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X-Men: Apocalypse, 12 Years a Slave and Prometheus.
Michael Fassbender was born on 2 April 1977 in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg. His father Josef was German, while his mother Adele was Irish. He discovered he wanted to be an actor at seventeen when he participated in a school play.
Fassbender produced and played the lead roles in the Assassin's Creed film. Although he was originally rumored to be playing Desmond Miles, however this was later debunked. His characters were revealed to be Callum Lynch and his ancestor Aguilar de Nerha, two new characters created for the movie. He was not familiar with the series before signing on for the film, but has since played the games. The film would later release on 21 December 2016.
Fassbender also had a hand in designing the costumes (in particular, the ones worn by Maria and Aguilar) of the film. As part of promoting the film, Fassbender appeared in Assassin's Creed: The VR Experience, a cinematic virtual reality experience filmed by Practical Magic in cooperation with 20th Century Fox and New Regency released on 1 December. Fassbender starred as his character Aguilar to help free an Assassin (whose identity is assumed by the player) from the Inquisition.
His older sister, Catherine Fassbender is a neuropsychologist. He married actress Alicia Vikander on 14 October 2017, Vikander was also originally cast as Sofia Rikkin in the Assassin's Creed film but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Together they live in London in the same flat Fassbender has owned since his 20s.
Assassin's Creed credits
- Assassin's Creed: The VR Experience - Aguilar de Nerha
- Assassin's Creed film - Producer, Callum Lynch, Aguilar de Nerha
- EscoBlades (09-07-2012). Michael Fassbender reported to play Desmond in Assassin's Creed movie. XboxGameZone.co.uk. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved on July 11, 2012.
- Gilbert, Ben (09-07-2012). Fassbender's Assassin's Creed character not necessarily Desmond. Joystiq. Archived from the original on January 3, 2013. Retrieved on July 11, 2012.
- Schwartz, Terri (16-05-2016). How the Assassin’s Creed Movie Strived to Get the Fighting Right. IGN. Retrieved on May 16, 2016.
- assassinscreed.ubi.com (30-06-2016). "Assassin's Creed" Interview with Sammy Sheldon Differ. MichaelFassbender.org. Retrieved on May 20, 2018.
- Gaudiosi, John (01-12-2016). Leap Of Faith: Behind The Making Of The ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Movie VR Experience. UploadVR. Archived from the original on September 25, 2018. Retrieved on December 17, 2020.