|This article is a stub. You can help Assassin's Creed Wiki by expanding it.|
Kleon the Everyman (died 422 BCE) was an Athenian general during the Peloponnesian War. He was also a Sage of the Cult of Kosmos, and the superior of Rhexenor, leading a branch that had infiltrated the Delian League. He was the first prominent representative of the commercial class in Athenian politics.
A political opponent of Perikles, the then-leader of Athens who had adopted a defensive stance in combating the Peloponnesian League, Kleon sought to adopt a more aggressive approach against their opponents. After Perikles died, Kleon assumed control of the the city. He was largely supported by the people of Athens until Kassandra, Sokrates, Aristophanes, and others led a social uprising against him.
During Peloponnesian War, Kleon came to prominence as an opponent against Perikles, opposing his strategy oh holding out rather than facing the Spartans in battle, who were already drawing near the city. Kleon's membership within the Cult of Kosmos also aided his position and increased his influence. In 431 BCE, he and Perikles gathered at the Pnyx to debate about their strategies and garner the crowd's support. Despite' Perikles' speeches, Kleon was ultimately able to gain much favor from the crowd.
After the debate, Kleon met and gained the aquaintance of the misthios Kassandra, who had came to meet Perikles based on Herodotos' suggestion. Kleon asked Kassandra to carry out several errands for him in order to strengthen Athen's defences: destroying several Spartan camps outside the city, rescuing one of his agents and escorting the said agent to safety.
Tensions continued to escalate between Perikles and Kleon, but by 429 BCE, Kleon had much of the favor from the Athenians. That year, a plague devasted much of the city, with Perikles soon contracting it as well. Kleon took the chance to further draw support from the crowd in an attempt to turn the population against Perikles.
In 424 BCE, with suggestion from the Ghost of Kosmos Aspasia, Kleon took to punishing the citizens of Mytilene, which previously revolted against Athens and the Delian League. He did so by ordering the execution of thousands of Mytileneans.
- Kleon is a Greek name derived from the word κλεος (kleos), which means 'glory'.
- His promise to "Make Athens Great Again", as well as his hawkish nature, his populist rhetoric, and his representation of the commercial class, is an obvious reference to the American president Donald Trump, who was known for his promise to "Make America Great Again", as well as for his own fiery rhetoric, populism, and representation of the business class.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – We Will Rise
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Doing Time
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Welcome to Athens.
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – For the People
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – He Who Stops
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – The Liberator
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Abandoned By the Gods