- "Kosmos fights for Athens. And so, Athens fights for Kosmos"
Iobates the Stoic (died 420s BCE), also known as Iobates of Lemnos, was the leader of the Hephaistos Islands as well as a member of the Cult of Kosmos' Delian League branch during the Peloponnesian War.
Iobates made a name for himself as the leader of the Hephaistos Islands, as well as the general to a highly-trained troop of mercenaries, for which he accepted only the deadliest and the most obedient soldiers. Led by him, these rogues expertly sowed fear and chaos wherever they went, for unlike common soldiers, they knew no bounds.
- Iobates shares his name with the mythological King of Lycia Iobates, who tasked the hero Bellerophon to kill the Chimera.
- The Cultist clue that unveils Iobates will be looted from any mercenary from tiers 5 and up, with some randomly-determined exceptions. However, the clue that directs the player to do so (i.e. reveals Iobates' masked icon on the branch in the Cultists menu) can only be obtained from killing Kodros, who is a higher level. Although it is the exact same letter looted from Podarkes, that letter only directs the player to the clue that unveils Kodros. Kodros, in turn, is unveiled by defeating Titos, a Level 43 enemy, in the Pephka Arena. These factors make it highly likely that the player will obtain the unveiling clue for Iobates long before the directional clue.
- As the clues are only yielded upon looting the mercenary in question, players seeking to collect all Cultist clues while continuing their progression through the mercenary rankings can simply kill their way to the top of Tier 6 normally, then dispatch mercenaries above that rank without looting them afterwards. They will eventually despawn, so this will result in missing out on their loot, but the discounts available from the higher tiers may offset these losses. This will not work on mercenaries carrying legendary-grade items, such as pieces of the Greek Heroes Set, as their deaths must be "confirmed" to ensure the item is added to the player's inventory and not permanently lost.
- Exekias the Legend, the number one mercenary in the Greek world (and Sage of the Heroes of the Cult branch), does not drop the clue. It is unclear if this is a condition applied to the Tier 1 mercenary (as "promoted" Tier 2 mercenaries have not been demonstrated to drop the clue either once the number one spot becomes vacant), or a result of him being a Cultist with a separate clue to loot.
- If the clue is not discovered, viewing Iobates via Ikaros shows him like any other nation leader, claiming that he can be knocked out and recruited aboard the Adrestia as an epic or legendary lieutenant. Despite this, Iobates cannot be recruited nor can any other member of the Cult of Kosmos.