- "It was not my best work, but it is hard to make art with poor materials."
- ―Il Carnefice, on the execution of a young woman, 1500.[src]
Working for the Borgia
- "Everyone assumes that executioners love their work. [...] They wear masks to avoid this stigma when the mask comes off. Not Il Carnifice. He loves the work as well as the mask."
- ―Fiora Cavazza.[src]
On one such instance, she brought him a list containing Cesare's next condemnations. Upon studying it, Il Carnefice acted serious, telling Fiora that her name was one of those listed, though he quickly revealed that he was only playing a prank on her and admitted that he could not read.
While under the Borgia, Il Carnefice performed any execution assigned to him with both enthusiasm and brutality, often chopping away the body parts of his victims and displaying them to his approving audience; Fiora once described him as a beast, one she found more disgusting than intimidating.
- "Word has gone out that a peasant is resisting arrest. We will show him how things operate under the Borgia."
- ―One of Il Carnefice's guards.[src]
This caught the attention of the Assassin Ezio Auditore da Firenze, who decided to aid the man by rescuing him from the guards. Upon hearing the husband's sad tale, he gently instructed him to take his wife's body down whenever he was ready, and assured the man that he would take care of Il Carnefice once and for all.
True to his word, Ezio infiltrated Il Carnefice's cliffside house in the north-west Centro District, where the Templar was discussing his latest kill with an associate of his. Ezio then swiftly assassinated him from above with his Hidden Blade, bringing the executions of many innocent citizens to a halt.
- Il Carnefice is Italian for 'the executioner, torturer, butcher'.
- Il Carnefice fought like a Brute when encountered.
- In the single-player, Il Carnefice's axe was not the same one that his counterpart used in the Animi Training Program. Instead, it was a Bearded Axe, a common weapon that was wielded by Brutes and could be bought from blacksmiths.
- Il Carnefice was the first Templar agent to be encountered in Brotherhood, and was one of the three that Ezio had to kill in a main story memory, the others being Malfatto and Silvestro Sabbatini.