Horsemen are individuals engaging in equestrianism. Most often, the term refers more specifically to soldiers on horseback, and, if it is their military role to fight from this position, they are conventionally known as cavalry. Cavalry were an ubiquitous unit of warfare throughout human history until major advancements in firearm technology rendered them obsolete from World War I onward. Aside from this, horsemen were regularly employed for reconnaissance and to patrol cities as well.
Horsemen were mounted on one of two varieties of horse, being either the common horse or the warhorse.
When a horseman detected an Assassin on foot, they would either charge at them with their short-ranged weapon at the ready, or they would attempt to strike the Assassin with their long-ranged weapon if they tried to flee or begin freerunning.
Horsemen often held an advantage in a fight, as they could move faster, and could use their steeds to knock over enemies on the ground. However, they were vulnerable to long-ranged weapons, and could be unseated if their horses were injured while charging. Should they be unsaddled, horsemen would either challenge their enemies on the ground, or attempt to re-mount their horse.
- A guard on foot, usually a captain or Papal Guard, will sometimes mount a nearby horse upon becoming hostile towards Ezio. If no free horse is available, the guard will hijack one from a passing civilian.
- Horsemen cannot be killed with the Poison Blade while on horseback, and have to be unsaddled first. If shot with a poison dart however, there is a chance that the horseman might fall off.
- Horsemen cannot be lured by thieves, attacked by mercenaries, or distracted by courtesans.
- Certain mounted Hermeticists share the abilities of horsemen.
- In Assassin's Creed III, Officers and Jägers will sometimes mount horses and use flintlock pistols to attack as well as charge the player.
- Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy (first appearance)
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade
- Assassin's Creed III
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood of Venice