The Assassins were tasked with the rescue of Didier Paton, a spy that had been betrayed by his employer Maximilien de Robespierre when he discovered the existence of the Templar Order, and the retrieval of Paton's notebook.
- Bishop: The Law of Suspects has started a wave of paranoia. One wrong word and you're a dead counter-revolutionary.
A prisoner addressed a pair of guards.
- Prisoner: Citizen, there's been some error. I am no Royalist!
One of the guards bashed the butt of his rifle into the prisoner's face.
- Guard 1: You have all been named enemies of freedom by your fellow citizens!
- Paton: I have information for Robespierre.
Didier Paton passed the guards, joined Robespierre in his office and pulled out a necklace bearing a Templar cross.
- Paton: Citizen Robespierre, we have enemies among us.
- Bishop: Didier Paton. Patriotic citizen turned super spy.
- Civilian: We have traded one tyrant for the other.
- Bishop: Paton got a little carried away. He ratted out hundreds of Parisians - no crime was too small. He got so good at snooping, he found something he shouldn't have...
The scene shifted back to Robespierre and Paton discussing the Templars.
- Robespierre: And you can identify these citizens?
- Paton: Many, yes. They are not loyal to France. I fear they may control members of our own Government.
- Robespierre: Guards! You truly are a gifted spy, Paton. Perhaps too gifted.
Robespierre then snatched the documents listing the Templar suspects out of Paton's hands.
- Robespierre: Arrest this traitor!
- Paton: You can't do this! No!
Paton was taken away.
- Guard 1: Witness the fate of those who betray their fellow citizens!
- Bishop: Paton has valuable Templar secrets. And he's no good to the Assassins dead. Get to the notebook. Then save Paton.
Paton's notebook is a Who's Who of the Templar Order. You need to get it before it's destroyed. The front entrance is pretty heavily guarded. Maybe look around for a more 'sneaky Assassin' approach.
Arno made his way into the Grand Châtelet and tracked down the warden.
- Bishop: That's the Warden. He's probably got the key with him.
Arno stole the warden's key.
- Bishop: Okay, you've got the key. Now go get that notebook.
Arno retrieved the notebook
- Bishop: Got the notebook. Now's the fun part. Let's go rescue Paton.
Arno made his way to the Hôtel de Ville.
- Bishop: The Assassins have a distraction planned, but there are a lot of Templars here. Take them out first.
Arno killed the three Templars lying in wait.
- Bishop: Here comes the distraction. Be ready to get Paton out of there.
Several smoke bombs were detonated in the plaza, allowing Paton to escape.
- Bishop: It looks like Paton's getting away. Use your Eagle Vision to find him before the Templars do.
Arno followed the tracks left behind Paton and arrived at the Holy Innocents' Cemetery.
- Bishop: Paton must be hiding around here somewhere.
Arno entered the catacombs under the cemetery and found Paton.
- Paton: Well... what can I do for you?
- Bishop: Paton eventually joined the Assassins. Nice rescue.
The Assassins managed to save Paton from execution and retrieve his notebook.