Just after the end of the Carnevale games, the Assassins planned the assassination of the new Doge, Marco Barbarigo. Ezio Auditore debated with Teodora and Antonio on how he should enter the Doge's party. When they were informed of the location of Dante Moro, Ezio pickpocketed the Golden Mask from him and entered the party, although Ezio wished to kill him. Soon afterwards, Dante arrived and alerted the guards of Ezio's presence, making him Notorious. A short time later, after Ezio avoided the guards' attempts to find him, Marco Barbarigo came out of his cabin on the nearby ship to deliver a speech. Ezio then killed Marco, using his recently acquired pistol the moment a firework exploded.
Ezio returned to La Rosa della Virtu.
- Teodora: I'm sorry, Ezio. We could not have known Silvio would cheat as he did.
- Antonio: You should have.
- Courtesan: Sister! You told us to let you know if we saw that rottinculo (cocksucker) who stole the Golden Mask? He's on his way to the Doge's party!
- Ezio: I will go! I can catch him before he arrives and take back the mask.
- Antonio: How? By killing the poor stronzo (fucker)?
- Ezio: Yes. You know what's at stake.
- Antonio: No! If you kill him, they'll cancel the party and Marco will retreat back into his palazzo. We'll have wasted our time again! Steal the mask instead... quietly.
- Teodora: My girls can help. They're already on their way to the party, all along the route. They can help you distract him while you acquire the mask.
- Ezio: Va bene (Alright). I can do that.
Ezio went out and found Dante trailed by a group of courtesans. He blended with them and stole the mask. He then put on the mask and hurried to the party.
- Guard: Buona sera, signore. (Good evening, sir.)
Ezio entered the party and met Teodora.
- Teodora: You made it! Marco is on a boat, just off shore. He's set to make a speech in a few minutes. Use my girls until then. Move with them to stay out of sight.
Dante appeared, accompanied by guards, looking for Ezio.
- Dante: Find him.
- Announcer: Signore e Signori (Ladies and gentlemen)! I present you, the beloved Doge of Venezia!
- Marco: Benvenuti (Welcome)! Welcome, my friends, to the grandest social event of the season! At peace or at war, in times of prosperity or paucity, Venezia will always have Carnevale!
- Ezio: Merda (Shit), he's not leaving the boat. I will have to swim out there...
- Teodora: I wouldn't try it. You'd be spotted right away.
- Ezio: Then I'll fight my way out there--
- Teodora: Wait!
- Marco: Tonight we celebrate what makes us great! How bright our lights shine over the world!
- Teodora: That's it! Your pistola (pistol); the one you stopped the murderer with. It's as loud as those explosions. Time it right and you'll walk out of here unnoticed.
- Ezio: I like the way you think, Sister.
- Teodora: I'll be waiting for you back at the brothel, my son.
Teodora departed, and Marco continued his speech.
- Marco: We all know we have come through troubled times, but we have come through them together! And Venezia stands a stronger city for it. Transitions of power are difficult for all, but we have weathered the shift with grace and tranquility. It is no easy thing to lose a Doge in the prime of his life. And to the cruelty of an Assassin who still hides in our midst! Indeed, we all loved Mocenigo dearly. He was a friend to us all, and he shall be missed, but did any of us truly love his policies? Did we feel safer under his watchful gaze? Did we believe in the road he was guiding us down? Or were you beginning to be afraid, like I was? Afraid that Mocenigo could not see clearly; that he was not prepared for what was to come? Well, my friends, I'm here to tell you: I CAN see down that road! I KNOW where we're going! It's a beautiful place, and we're going there together! The future I see for Venezia is a future of strength, a future of wealth! We shall build our fleet so strong, our enemies shall fear us like never before! We will expand our trade routes across the sea, bringing home spices and treasures like we've never dreamed! And I say to those who stand against us: be careful of what side of the line you choose, because either you're with us, or you're on the side of evil! And we will harbor no enemies among our friends. We WILL hunt you down, we will root you out, we will DESTROY you! And Venezia will always stand the brightest jewel in all of civilization!
At some point during the speech, Ezio killed Marco with the Pistol.
- Marco: No... it's too soon... I'm not ready.
- Ezio: We rarely are. Che la morte no sia crudele (Death not be unkind). Requiescat in pace (Rest in peace).
Ezio escaped the party, returning to the brothel. Upon entering, he was surrounded by courtesans.
- Courtesan 1: Beautifully done!
- Courtesan 2: Che spettacolo! Che spettacolo! (What a show! What a show!)
- Courtesan 3: A true hero!
- Teodora: You must be exhausted. Come, relax.
- Antonio: Ah, the savior of Venezia! What can I say? Perhaps it was wrong of me to doubt you so readily. Now we'll see where all the pieces fall.
- Teodora: Enough of that now. You've worked hard, my son. I feel your tired body in need of comfort and succor.
- Ezio: But I have such aches and pains, Sister. I may need a great deal of comfort and succor.
- Teodora: Oh, that can be arranged. Girls!
The courtesans led Ezio away.
Marco Barbarigo was killed and his brother, Agostino Barbarigo, an ally of sorts of the Assassins was later made the new Doge. The Carnevale came to an end.
- Teodora suggests that Ezio kill Marco with the Pistol, but Marco can also be assassinated with any other weapon.
- Marco's speech exemplifies Templar ideologies.
- Humorously, if Ezio hires the courtesans standing adjacent the boat and gets close enough to it, the guards surrounding Marco will jump off the boat and go to them, making a hidden blade assassination much easier.
- It is possible to fight Dante Moro after assassinating Marco, but you cannot kill him. Dante also can be fought after the theft of the mask, but again he won't die. He will die however if he is assassinated stealthily.
- Teodora hints to shoot while firework is exploding, but regardless of the time of shooting guards will always be alerted at once.