A stonemason and his wife are terrified after hearing hideous screams coming from beneath the temple. She asks Bayek to investigate.
After helping the Phylakitai of Karanis, Epigonos, to solve a murder in the temple and prevent that of the High Priest, Bayek encountered an Egyptian woman outside the temple desiring to speak with him.
- Woman: Neb! Please! I must speak with you!
I saw you with the Phylakitai of Karanis. Are you a protector?
- Bayek: I am. Is there something wrong?
- Woman: Please, we need your help. Yesterday my husband witnessed something... frightening. Soldiers dragged a poor man beneath the temple. Then he heard screams! We're already hungry because there's no grain. Now I'm terrified the soldiers will take my husband. We don't know who we can trust, not even the Phylakitai.
- Bayek: Let me talk to your husband. Where can I find him?
- Woman: He's a stonemason working near the temple. Please be careful. The soldiers mustn't see you talk to him!
Bayek found the stonemason working at the walls of the town.
- Bayek: Stonemason, your wife has been to see me.
- Stonemason: Shhh! How die you get up here? By Amun, that woman interferes. I told her, "What can we do?" Just act normal. Yeah, that's it. Stay normal.
- Bayek: Calm yourself! She said you saw soldiers take someone below the temple.
- Stonemason: Yes. No! Yes. Okay, it's true. It wasn't the first time, but yesterday was different. There were screams that would wake the gods themselves! So many screams!
Now please, just leave me alone before someone sees you. Just act normal. (Humming and whistling)
The stonemason resumed his work while Bayek headed down to the entrance below the temple.
- Bayek: Some people just should not whistle.
Bayek arrived at the entrance.
- Bayek: This looks like the place the Stonemason told me about.
He encountered several soldiers and eliminated them. He discovered patches of blood on the ground.
- Bayek: By Amun! What has been done here?
He discovered a papyrus written by an individual known as the Butcher.
- Message from the Butcher:
Your payment is in the usual place beneath bathing Sobek.
There can be no disappointing the Crocodile. Take the farmer's arm. Tell him next time someone refuses it will be their head.
- Bayek: Someone called the Butcher is strong-arming farmers. I need to find him. I should follow this trail of loot. A bathing Sobek. Bathing... must be in water. A Sobek in water... hmmm...
- Bayek: There's a Sobek ruin not far from here. The Butcher's loot could be nearby.
He approached the ruins and discovered a group of guards keeping watch.
- Bayek: Those are guards. This must be the place. The "Bathing Sobek" should be close.
With Senu's help, Bayek located the payment in the temple. He dove into the water and swam towards the submerged part of the ruins. He discovered a chest engraved with a depiction of Soknopaiou Nesos.
- Bayek: There's an engraving on the chest depicting Soknopaiou. That is a village West of here. The coins are in bags normally used to store grain. Did this come from a storehouse?
Bayek resurfaced and rode a boat to the village. He explored the village and found a storehouse heavily guarded by soldiers.
- Bayek: That is a lot of guards for a simple storehouse. This must be the place. I have to get past them if I want answers.
He eliminated the guards and made his way inwards.
- Bayek: The Butcher will be nearby. What are these goons hiding?
As he ventured in further, Bayek overheard a conversation between guards.
- Soldier 1: I heard they took his arm at the Butcher's order. I guess we are common thugs now, not soldiers.
- Soldier 2: Shh, keep your voice down!
- Soldier 1: (Shit!) This is not what I joined the army for.
- Soldier 2: It is what puts grain on your table. You are here now. When the Butcher says jump, we jump. That is how it is. Now shut-up before someone hears us.
Bayek eliminated the guards and investigated the place. He found a mountain of grain sacks in the room.
- Bayek: This is where they're hiding all the grain. Taken straight from the tables of Faiyum families. Damn these greedy neket iadet. I should look around.
More grain. The poor are starving while the rich fill their storehouses. This has to stop. I should keep looking around.
Bayek found several ledgers on a table.
- Bayek: Ledger showing payments for grain. The Butcher is not paying the farmers even enough to live. I need to find information on where he is.
He found a papyrus on another table.
- Urgent message from the Butcher:
Store the grain as usual. Shipment is going out next week, so make certain everything is ready. Bring the final tally to my upstairs office at the villa, where I'm stuck fixing your mistakes. Any more errors and it's your head.
- Bayek: Ah, this is it. The Butcher is in the villa nearby. It is time this Butcher and I had a talk.
Bayek found an entrance to the villa through the storehouse. He climbed up the ladder to the villa.
- Bayek: A palatial villa. Built on the backs of Faiyum's farmers, no doubt.
He overhead a soldier berating another.
- Soldier 3: Shut your mouth and do your job. That grain is what pays for your beer and women. Or did you forget?
Bayek made his way to the Butcher's office, where he was guarded by two bodyguards.
- Butcher: Ah, here's the vlaka who's been messing with my business. We were just discussing you.
- Bayek: You've been stealing grain from Faiyum... starving people for profit.
- Butcher: You're not from Faiyum, are you? Your speech reeks of the countryside.
- Bayek: The grain belongs on Egyptian tables.
- Butcher: You naive backwater malakia. I take orders from above. If not me, someone else will do this. This is business. People pay what they owe, or I take it. It's not personal. I give you a choice now. Leave me alone and live, or die here.
- Bayek: Others thought they way you do. Then they murdered my son. Everything is personal, you filthy neket iadet.
The Butcher waved for his men to attack.
- Bayek: It ends here!
- Butcher: Guards! Take care of this!
Bayek fought the Butcher and his bodyguards, successfully killing them.
- Bayek: May the Hidden One greet you. The Lord of the Duat awaits.
Bayek discovered the culprit that has been stealing from the farmers of Faiyum and eliminated him.