- "Donato Mancini is Cesare's finest horseman, perhaps better than Cesare himself."
- ―Fiora Cavazza regarding Donato.[src]
Donato Mancini (1473 – 1503) was a military captain of the Papal Army under the Borgia, and a member of the Templar Order. While under the direct employ of Cesare Borgia, Donato was often described as a confident and capable horseman.
In 2012, his genetic memories were used as an Animi Avatar by the Templar company Abstergo Industries, in the first stage of training for their Animus recruits, under the title of the Captain (Animi Avatar).
- "The beating is savage! Humiliating! The crowd laughs. I do not. Donato truly was the champion today."
- ―Fiora, on the race's outcome.[src]
She presented Donato with a fine set of armor, which he eagerly tried on. However, as she relayed Cesare's threat, Donato only remarked that he was not surprised, and that "the winner will win the race. There are no other factors."
Donato rode well and fairly in the competition, despite the interference of one of Cesare's officers, Teodor Viscardi, who charged him in the middle of the race and attempted to attack him with a blade. Donato only dodged the thrust and spurred his horse forward to win, claiming his victory before a silent audience.
- Ezio: "Who did this?"
- Rocco: "Donato Mancini. I rode against his horse in the races and made the mistake of winning."
- ―Ezio talking to the merchant.[src]
Ezio Auditore da Firenze came across the merchant shortly afterwards, and decided to aid him. Seeking out Donato in the ruins of the Circus Maximus, Ezio discovered him practicing his horsemanship along with his soldiers.
- Despite his choice to ignore Cesare's threat and win through his own merit, Donato acted just as Cesare had when faced with the prospect of losing to another in a horse race. However, it is possible that Cesare's actions from their race caused a lasting psychological impact on Donato.