Audun (died 874), also known as The Vault, was an advisor to King Ricsige of Northumbria during the 870s. He was also the founding member of the Red Hand, and a high ranking member of the Order of the Ancients' Wardens of Law sect, holding the title of Preost.
After Auden's raiding days ended, he chose to live his later years as a wealthy, important man in the town of Jorvik. Honored by Halfdan Ragnarsson himself, he accepted a thane's ring after the sacking of Jorvik. However, when the Order tempted him with even wealth and power, he did not refuse.
The cryptonym, The Vault, was mentioned when Hytham told his ally, the Viking shieldmaiden Eivor Varinsdottir of the Raven Clan of the news of three more Order targets in Jorvik. After dealing with Grigorii, The Needle, evidence of The Vault came from his personal effects, in a riddle, "One of the four is ours."
After some discussion, the riddle was solved as The Vault had to be one of the four council members between Faravid, Audun, Ricsige, and Ljufvina Bjarmarsdottir's husband, Hjorr Halfsson. The next step to find who The Vault was, was to investigate their offices at the Archives while the council was busy with the festival. At the Archives, evidence was discovered that the festival wine had been poisoned. Thus, The Vault's plan was to poison everyone at the festival, thus the focus came to be on the Roman Amphitheater, where the feast took place.
At the feast, The Vault was thought to be found through questioning every Council member. From the investigation, a key reason against Audun was that he was discussing certain matters with Abbess Ingeborg, who turned out to be The Firebrand. Before there could any accusation, Audun started his speech. Audun's speech started off congratulating the nobles and people of Jorvik, until it turned sour just as those drinking the wine started to bleed to death. Audun revealed his true identity, proclaiming a new order was near and those who attended the feast would not live to see it. As Ljufvina protected the council members, Audun was chased down and assassinated swiftly, ending both the Order's hold on Jorvik and Audun's attack.
- As stated, Audun took interest and raised Grigorii, who was later inducted into the Order himself, with Auden's guidance. This particular upbringing mirrors another induction process between fellow Order members, The Crozier and The Billhook.
- Like certain members of the Order in England, Audun's cutscene in the Memory Corridor somewhat differs, as his soul explains himself while surrounded by materials and statues. However, Eivor still takes the Order's medallion of an ash tree off his body.
- Audun shares many similarities with the character Abu'l Nuqoud from the 2007 video game Assassin's Creed. Both are wealthy nobles in their region—Jorvik and Damascus, respectively—and are so infuriated at the other nobles for their pompous and greedy manners that both attempted a massacre amidst their feasts. Announcing their true intentions of a new world order, they state to their guests, "a pity none of you will live to see it," before calling their men to make sure no one escapes.
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Target menu: "Bio: Preost Audun, The Vault"
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – In a Strange Land
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Pricking the Needle
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Closing the Vault
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Burning the Firebrand
- Assassin's Creed – Assassination (Abu'l Nuqoud)