Audun (died 874), also known as The Vault, was an advisor to King Ricsige of Northumbria during the 870s. He was also the founding member of the Red Hand, and a high ranking member of the Order of the Ancients' Wardens of Law sect, holding the title of Preost.
After Auden's raiding days ended, he chose to live his later years as a wealthy, important man in the town of Jorvik. Honored by Halfdan Ragnarsson himself, he accepted a thane's ring after the sacking of Jorvik. However, when the Order tempted him with even wealth and power, he did not refuse.
The Viking shieldmaiden Eivor Varinsdottir of the Raven Clan first learned of the cryptonym The Vault when Hytham told her the news of three more Order targets in Jorvik. After dealing with Grigorii, The Needle, Eivor reported back to Ljufvina Bjarmarsdottir about her findings. Before revealing The Needle's identity to Ljufvina, Hjorr Halfsson interrupted and proclaimed that Grigorii had been murdered. With no hesitation, Eivor revealed Grigorii's identity as The Needle, much to the dismay of Ljufvina and Hjorr. The married couple wondered how Grigorii got away with such dealings and Eivor revealed an object from her findings, a seal from the council. After Hjorr left to tend to Yuletide festival, Eivor puzzled over the seal's accompanying riddle, which read "One of the four is ours." Eivor solved it and told Ljufvina that The Vault had to be one of the four council members between Faravid, Audun, Ricsige, and Ljufvina's husband, Hjorr. Lfujvina then told Eivor to investigate their offices at the Archives while the council was busy with the festival.
At the Archives, Eivor and Lfujvina found suspicious evidence, especially regarding Audun, Faravid, and Hjorr. Finding Hjorr's desk blocking a hidden room, Eivor moved the desk back to its original space and found wine hidden. Eivor then discovered that the wine had been poisoned, and Lfujvina feared the worst of her husband. Eivor dismissed Ljufvina's worries, telling her to focus on saving people from the Yuletide festival's wine. Eivor and Lfujvina then headed to the Roman Amphitheater, where the feast took place.
As they arrived to the feast, Eivor devised of a plan to talk to every council member and see who reacted suspiciously to the mention of the wine, while Ljufvina only asked Eivor to tell her the suspected culprit first. After talking to each council member, Eivor then conferred with Ljufvina and accused Audun as The Vault, as he adamantly refused to drink the wine altogether. Eivor also recalled how Audun was discussing certain matters with Abbess Ingeborg, who turned out to be The Firebrand. Before she could accuse Audun, Eivor looked over as Audun announced his speech. The speech started off congratulating the nobles and people of Jorvik, until it turned sour just as those drinking the wine started to bleed to death. Audun then revealed his true identity, proclaiming a new order was near and those who attended the feast would not live to see it. As Ljufvina protected the council members, Eivor chased down Audun and assassinated him swiftly, ending both the Order's hold on Jorvik and Audun's attack.
- As stated, Audun took interest and raised Grigorii, who was later inducted into the Order himself, with Auden's guidance. This particular upbringing mirrors another induction process between fellow Order members, The Crozier and The Billhook.
- Like certain members of the Order in England, Audun's cutscene in the Memory Corridor somewhat differs, as his soul explains himself while surrounded by materials and statues. However, Eivor still takes the Order's medallion of an ash tree off his body.
- Audun shares many similarities with the character Abu'l Nuqoud from the 2007 video game Assassin's Creed. Both are wealthy nobles in their region—Jorvik and Damascus, respectively—and are so infuriated at the other nobles for their pompous and greedy manners that both attempted a massacre amidst their feasts. Announcing their true intentions of a new world order, they state to their guests, "a pity none of you will live to see it," before calling their men to make sure no one escapes.
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Target menu: "Bio: Preost Audun, The Vault"
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – In a Strange Land
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Pricking the Needle
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Closing the Vault
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Burning the Firebrand
- Assassin's Creed – Assassination (Abu'l Nuqoud)