Attika is a historical region and peninsula in Greece projecting into the Aegean Sea which encompasses the country's capital, Athens. As such, it is home to some of the most iconic Hellenic landmarks, and its dry summer climate is archetypal of the beautiful environment popularly associated with Greece. Along with Megaris and Boeotia, Attika was part of the Attikan Peninsula.
By the time of the Peloponnesian War, Attika was a heavily-trafficked area with Athens as the largest city in Greece. With the conflict pitting Athens-led Delian League against Sparta's Peloponnesian League, the peninsula was at the center of the conflict. The Spartan army set up multiple siege camps along the western approaches to Athens, as well as the Cemetery Road. Despite the threat of this army, Athens and Attika at large remained unconquered for the majority of the conflict.
Prior to the Peloponnesian War, Attika's wealth was based primarily on the silver mining industry set in and around the town of Lavrio. With the dawn of the Delian League, Attika's prosperity shifted to taxation as a principal source of income. In addition to silver, Attika also became famous for exporting the marble quarried from Mount Pentelikos.
The Attika Peninsula was made up of fourteen regions and islands:
- Abandoned Farmlands
- Cape Sounion
- Greater Athens
- Heights of Thorikos
- Isle of Salamis
- Marathon Beach
- Parnes Mountains
- Phaleron Sandy Bay
- Port of Piraeus
- Sacred Plains of Demeter
- Scarred Mountain of Pentelikos
- Sieged Plains
- Silver Mountain
Behind the scenes
In Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Attika has the epithet "The Land of Democracy", referencing one of its historically most meaningful contributions to the world.
In the official website of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, the regions of Attika, Boeotia, and Megaris are grouped under "Attika Peninsula" despite the latter two being geographically distinct and Attika in actuality being synonymous with the Attika Peninsula.
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (map only)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (map only)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (first appearance)
- Assassin's Creed: Rebellion - For Democracy! (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Rebellion - Spears for Hire (mentioned only)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Worlds: Attika Peninsula. Ubisoft. Accessed 24 June 2018.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Rebellion – For Democracy!
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Rebellion – Spears for Hire
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey – Attika: Mt. Pentelikos Village
- ↑ Discovery Tour: Ancient Greece – Attika: "Attikan Banner"
- ↑ Attica on Wikipedia