- "Guardian of the Scales. Protector of the afterlife."
- ―A statue descripting Anubis.[src]
Anubis is an ancient Egyptian god of mummification and the afterlife. Since jackals were common in cemeteries, the ancient Egyptians believed that Anubis watched over the dead.
In the mid-1st century BCE, Lucius Septimius, a member of the Order of the Ancients, adopted the cryptonym the Jackal, an obvious reference to Anubis himself. Similarly, some priests of Anubis in Memphis were found to be corrupt during Layla's explorations and were soon sent to see him in person.
In 2017, whilst Layla Hassan was exploring Bayek's memories in the portable Animus HR-8, an emotion sensor overload in the device resulted in a manifestation of Anubis that she needed to combat in order to protect Animus data.
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (statue and Animus manifestation only)
- Assassin's Creed: Rebellion – The Mask of the Ibis (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla – Wrath of the Druids (sculpture only)