An animated Assassin's Creed television series is currently being developed by Ubisoft Film & Television. It is to air on Netflix, a release date has not been announced. The series, which will feature an original story from Castlevania producer Adi Shankar, will share the same universe as the other media of the franchise.
- "I'm happy to let you guys know that I've selected my next project! I played the first edition of Assassin's Creed the year I moved to Los Angeles to pursue my dream. At that moment I knew absolutely no one in the industry and could never have imagined that one day Ubisoft would ask me to take the world of Assassin's Creed and create an original story set in it as an anime series. If anyone tells you not to follow your passion in life they are wrong."
- ―Adi Shankar's announcement post
By March 2017, Assassin's Creed head of content Aymar Azaizia confirmed that an Assassin's Creed television series was being developed, teasing it at PAX East 2017. On July 5, producer Adi Shankar announced a partnership with Ubisoft on his Facebook page and revealed that he was working on "an original story" Assassin's Creed anime series. Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot resumed discussions with Netflix as a possible network for the series to air on. However, it is not known if they were discussing Assassin's Creed or another Ubisoft IP.
As of June 2020, the television series is reportedly in development. Netflix was also officially confirmed as the distributor and airing network. In October, news on the project resurfaced stating that it was not cancelled. Two other Netflix series were also announced, one anime, and the other live-action.
In an April 2021 Eurogamer interview with Aymar Azaïzia, he reconfirmed the series and stated that it was being made by the team behind the television series Rabbids Invasion and the upcoming Far Cry animated television series Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Vibe also being produced by Shankar. The Far Cry series was taking precedence however, leaving the Assassin's Creed series on the back-burner for the time being.
- Osborne, Alex (22-03-2017). Ubisoft Is Working on an Assassin's Creed TV Series. IGN. Archived from the original on November 8, 2017. Retrieved on March 23, 2017.
- Skrebels, Joe (05-07-2017). Assassin's Creed Anime Announced by Castlevania Netflix Producer. Archived from the original on July 5, 2017. Retrieved on January 16, 2020.
- M., Monica (14-11-2016). Netflix And Ubisoft In Talks To Make 'Assassin's Creed', 'Watch Dogs', And 'Tom Clancy' TV Series. Jobs n Hire. Archived from the original on May 10, 2017. Retrieved on January 16, 2020.
- Moore, Ewan (23-03-2017). Here’s Everything We Know About The Assassin’s Creed TV Series. UNILAD. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved on January 16, 2020.
- Kane, Ian (15-01-2018). Ubisoft Announces Assassin’s Creed TV Series is in the Works. CYBERPOWERPC. Archived from the original on April 21, 2018. Retrieved on January 16, 2020.
- AFP Relax News (26-06-2020). 'Cyberpunk: Edgerunners' anime coming from 'Kill la Kill' studio. Yahoo! News. Archived from the original on July 5, 2020. Retrieved on July 5, 2020.
- Goldberg, Lesley (27-10-2020). 'Assassin's Creed' Live-Action TV Series in the Works at Netflix. The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 27, 2020. Retrieved on October 27, 2020.
- Phillips, Tom (19-04-2021). Ubisoft details Assassin's Creed Black Flag webtoon sequel, Shao Jun books, Netflix projects. Eurogamer.net. Archived from the original on April 19, 2021. Retrieved on April 20, 2021.