Eivor met with Vagn to learn about river raids.
Eivor arrived at the old river docks, finding Sunniva talking to a man.
- Sunniva: I've never heard tell of any "River Champion." Not sure what to make of that. But you're welcome to ask Eivor.
- Eivor: Sunniva. And stranger. What brings you to our shores?
- Sunniva: Vagn and his crew claim to be raiders of great treasures. They seek to join Ravensthorpe.
- Eivor: If you seek to join us, we only ask for hard work and loyalty. No need of silver or gold.
- Sunniva: Wouldn't say no to it, either...
- Vagn: It is good to meet you, Eivor. And there is more in this for you than precious metals. We may seem weary and ragged... But we know secret routes of England's coasts where you will find a wealth of resources for Ravensthorpe.
- Eivor: You seek to share them with us? Why?
- Vagn: When the table is laden with too great a feast, you gather friends 'round to enjoy. We seek friends and feasting. Let me show you. I will take you out on a raid ... once we repair our ship.
- Eivor: I appreciate the offer and accept it.
Eivor then used her funds to have the River Raid Dock built. After it was complete, she met with Vagn and Sunniva again.
- Eivor: And? How do you judge our dock?
- Vagn: Ah! Now that's a dock worthy of our longship! Come and talk to me whenever you are ready to leave.
- Vagn: Are you ready to set sail?
(Accept - Yes, let's go raiding.)
- Eivor: I am ready. On to the raid.
- Vagn: We will use my crew for this first outing. Easier for me to show you what lies beyond the river bank. Later, you are welcome to send your own Jomsvikingr along the paths we travel. Mine could use the rest.
The group set sail, heading for the River Exe.
- Vagn: This river does not appear on many maps. Few know how to navigate it. But the Jomsvikingr have been learning its currents. An old friend said it was a smuggling route for Roman traders. She claims it was useful in hiding their tracks. In fact, it is so well-hidden, you could raid your very neighbours and they would never know it was you. Something to think about.
Vagn pointed to a village by the shore.
- Vagn: Look there! Villagers! Not hoarders of wealth, mind you, but well worth the trouble if you are seeking rations for the crew.
As Eivor signaled for the raid to begin, Vagn reminded her.
- Vagn: Remember, my crew is like a pack of trained wolves. They will respond to your orders. Give them freely and loudly.
After a fruitful raid, Eivor called the crew back to the boat.
- Eivor: That seems to be everything. We should return to the ship.
The crew returned to the ship.
- Eivor: I've had tougher fights in taverns.
- Vagn: Well, stay alert. The smoke from the flames will alert camps downriver. The fighting will get tougher as we go.
The group set sail again.
- Vagn: There! Military camp. You will find foreign supplies and even gear if you are lucky. They will put up a fight, but so be it, ja?
Eivor sounded the horn and the vikings began another raid. During it, Eivor found a chest filled with foreign supplies.
- Eivor: This looks valuable. I should take it back to the settlement.
Returning to the ship, Eivor noticed that once again Vagn had not joined in the raid.
- Eivor: I thought you were a fighter, yet you didn't join the battle. Biding your time for bigger fights?
- Vagn: More of a captain these days. Odd, isn't it? A raider who doesn't raid. Turns out spending years getting damn near chopped in half leaves you with enough aches and stiff muscles to keep you boat-bound. Now come, let us go.
They sailed to another military camp and another chest of foreign supplies was recovered during the raid. When the crew returned to the ship, Vagn spoke to Eivor.
- Vagn: I don't know about you, but I am ready to return to Ravensthorpe. Let the crew know when you are ready.
(If Eivor decided to keep going)
- Vagn: Monasteries are a great boon! Packed with as much knowledge as riches. Brains as full as coffers.
Eivor sounded the horn and the crew raided the monastery. With their supply capacity reached and river defenses heightened, Eivor decided to return home.
Back at Ravensthorpe, Vagn tallied the supplies they got.
- Vagn: That was invigorating! And as lucrative as I promised, ja? Think we have got enough supplies here to put something together?
- Eivor: Something like what?
- Vagn: A place to stay where we can stretch out. A hall. Wouldn't want to bother Eydis and the rest.
- Eivor: You know Eydis?
- Vagn: Er ... I-I know of Eydis. Her reputation as a fighter and as a trainer precedes her. Simply wouldn't want to get in her way.
- Eivor: I see... Well, we have space for a hall, and with enough supplies, we can make something in due time.
Eivor then used her funds to have the Jomsviking Hall built. After it was complete, she met with Vagn again.
- Vagn: Welcome to the Jomsviking Hall, Eivor! Been a long time since we've had a permanent place to gather and share stories. Come here to hire more Jomsvikingr for your raids. With time, it will attract some impressive fighters. Real talents.
Eivor built the River Raid Docks, went on raids along the River Exe.