After seeing a meteorite land near Ravensthorpe, Eivor investigated the crater.
Eivor was in Ravensthorpe when a ball of fire crashed into a nearby mountainside.
- Eivor: What in the nine realms was that?
She went to investigate the crash site, finding an old woman there.
- Eivor: Careful, grandmother. Something fell from the sky to earth like it has been thrown by Odin himself.
- Hildiran: A strength he no doubt wished he possessed. No danger remains but look, it revealed something hidden in the mountain side.
- Eivor: Hmm. Looks almost like a door.
- Hildiran: If it is, then it's the door to something I have long been searching for. May I ask you for a kindness, drengr?
- Eivor: My name is Eivor of the Raven Clan, and that depends on how kind you need me to be.
- Hildiran: Will you grant me a home while I investigate the door, Eivor of the Raven Clan?
- Eivor: I don't make a habit of sheltering strangers.
- Hildiran: My name is Hildiran. There, now we are no longer strangers. Please. If I am right, then this is Freyja's Gate. Allow me to stay and I will help you discover the treasures that lay on the other side.
- Eivor: Very well. I'll give you a small piece of land to make a home on and supplies from our raids to build with.
- Hildiran: Thank you, kind Eivor. The gods smile on you!
- Eivor: I may be kind but I am no fool. Everyone must pull their weight and I expect no less from you.
- Hildiran: A fair rule and one I can easily follow.
Eivor did as promised and visited the old woman once the house had been built. She found Hildiran around the back, in front of a statue of Freyja along the edge of a large dirt circle around which Hildiran had set segments of waist-high fence along the perimeter.
- Hildiran: Eivor the Kind! A welcomed visit. Like what you see?
- Eivor: You've certainly made this space your own. But how does this help you open a stone door?
- Hildiran: It is a shrine to Freyja. We will need her favor if we wish to reveal the hidden treasures.
- Eivor: Ah, it's "we" now, is it?
- Hildiran: I told you, Eivor, you will want to see what is on the other side. Now come, Freyja demands combat before she will aid us.
- Eivor: For a moment I thought you meant for me to fight you.
- Hildiran: Fear not, I can handle myself.
- Eivor: I cannot possibly fight you. I would kill you.
- Hildiran: You could try. Attack me.
Eivor threw a punch and Hildiran threw Eivor to the ground.
- Hildiran: Now get up and let's give Lady Freyja a fight!
They started a fight, using their fists.
- Hildiran: Fight harder, Eivor!
Yes! Give me everything you have!
- Eivor: This old woman fights like a young jomsviking!
- Hildiran: You're leaving yourself open to attack.
After a while, Hildiran stopped.
- Hildiran: Good. Now watch.
- Hildiran: Come at me again!
They fought again, this time with weapons.
- Eivor: What magic is this? And how do you fight with the strength of a berserker?
- Hildiran: I can teach you, Eivor. But first, we fight!
- Eivor: These aren't my weapons.
- Hildiran: Are you already making excuses, drengr?
- Eivor: You fight with a fury I have not seen in Mercia.
- Hildiran: As will you, after my training.
- Eivor: How is this possible?
- Hildiran: Calm your mind of questions and concentrate on battle!
After a while, Hildiran stopped.
- Hildiran: Good. That was good.
She produced the amulet again and held it aloft. The vision ended, and the two women were returned to Ravensthorpe, finding that no time had passed since the start of their duel. Startled and wary of what she had seen, Eivor backed some distance away from Hildiran.
- Eivor: I have seen many strange things but nothing like this. What magic do you possess? I've not seen a seer fight like that.
- Hildiran: I am no seer. I am what you see before you, an old warrior eith a knowledge of secrets.
- Eivor: If that was not magic, then what was it?
- Hildiran: That was a battle meditation. You entered Hugrheim, the mind's realm. It is a secret form of training that not many know. You can attack full force with no fear of injury.
- Eivor: And yet you know this training?
- Hildiran: You're glad to have let me stay now, aren't you?
She gave Eivor the amulet.
- Eivor: Very much! Tell me, what part does the amulet play?
- Hildiran: It is a vessel. It needs to be filled with the energy created in battle.
Hildiran indicated towards the statue of Freyja.
- Hildiran: But it will only work with this type of shrine. They can be found all over Mercia.
- Eivor: I have many questions still.
- Hildiran: I promise you will get answers. But first, I have marked a shrine location on your map. Once there, enter a meditation. The amulet will pull you into Hugrheim.
- Eivor: And what happens when I finish my training?
- Hildiran: Then you return to me.
- Eivor: ...very well.
After a pause, Eivor continued.
- Eivor: Have you met Valka? Something of you reminds me of her.
Hildiran shook her head and shrugged at Eivor, but ignored the question.
- Hildiran: Go now, kind Eivor, and train!
Eivor left to find the shrine.
- Eivor: This looks like the shrine she told me about.
Eivor completed the three challenges on Hugrheim.
- Eivor: My training is complete. I should return to Hildiran.
Back at Ravensthorpe, Eivor met with Hildiran again, and saw that the fenced off circle they had first fought in had been improved into a full training area with stone walls, high mesh netting, and targets at one end.
- Hildiran: Eivor, you return.
Eivor held out the amulet.
- Eivor: Here. I am done.
Hildiran took it from Eivor and the amulet glowed white at her touch.
- Hildiran: You have done well. I have collected many treasures in my lifetime. I am willing to part with them, but only to drengr I deem worthy.
Hildiran gives the amulet back, after inspecting it.
- Eivor: I'd be honored.
Eivor perused Hildiran's wares, before making to leave.
- Hildiran: Feel free to return. As you continue your training by visiting more shrines, I will be able to gift you more powerful treasures.
Eivor defeated Hildiran in battle twice, once in real life and once in a vision. She obtained an amulet and meditated at a shrine to challenge herself, completing three challenges in the process.